Beckingham Village Hall Social Club............................
BACKGROUND: The closure of the local pub “The Packhorse” left a gap in the life of the village. It soon became evident that there was strong support for a social and recreational centre, where residents could meet and enjoy a drink with friends and neighbours. After widespread consultation, the Social Club was established at an inaugural meeting in May 2017, with over 100 residents becoming paid up members.
The constitution and club rules for the Beckingham Village Hall Social Club (BVHSC) can be seen hereA club Licence was granted on 30th June 2017 for the sale of alcohol between the hours of 11 am and 11 pm with dispensation for later opening on special occasions and the club officially opened on 8 July2017. Since then progress has exceeded expectations and enabled the Club to invest in improving club facilities. The carpeted bar area now boasts a large flat screen TV and new tables and chairs. A log burner has been fitted to create a welcoming atmosphere during the winter months. A commercial glass washer has been installed to ensure a high standard of hygiene and the range of drinks and snacks has been extended.
REPORT ON THE FIRST YEAR ACTIVITIES: The Club’s first Annual General Meeting took place on 4 July 2018 and the review of the year’s activities showed that in addition to regular opening on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, the following special events were held:
- Ladies Night with prizes for best dressed ladies, Prosecco and nibbles provided, and races with men as jockeys on wooden horses
- Harvest Supper jointly with the Parochial Church Council (PCC)
- Halloween with traditional games and children’s’ prizes for best fancy dress and carved pumpkins
- Christmas Tree lighting with games, mulled wine and mince pies (jointly with Parish Council)
- Strictly Come Dancing Final: Members came dressed for the occasion plus sweepstake
- Special Christmas opening on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day – both well supported
- New Year’s Eve with disco and a glass of Fizz to see New Year in
- England’s 6 Nations’ games - free shots for English Tries
- Six Nations final match + Irish Themed St Patrick’s Night with live music
- Eurovision Final – members came in outrageous but appropriate dress plus sweepstake
- Royal Wedding with pre wedding breakfast and fizz to toast the happy couple
- F.A. Cup Final with sweepstake on likely happenings
- Village fete evening with a hog roast and live entertainment for members (in collaboration with Parish Council)
All this, plus regular quizzes and raffles with the proceeds now going to members’ chosen charities. These evenings are also enhanced with ‘Supper Platters’ provided by the PCC at £5. each, raising funds for our Village Church. The Club is non-profit making and relies on a management committee and a small number of volunteers to organise and provide the necessary services. Financial surpluses are re-invested for the benefit of members (The 2017-18 Annual Accounts can be found here
GOLF CLUB: We now have a Golf Club affiliated to the Social Club which meets regularly and are keen to see more clubs established. Please contact one of the Club Officers if you have an idea for one.
MEMBERSHIP: All village residents are eligible for membership and need to be proposed and seconded by existing members. Initial membership fees are £25 per person or £40 for family membership. We think this is well worth the cost, enabling you to use the bar facilities and enjoy the special events which offer good value entertainment within the village. Current fees for existing members are £10 per person (2018/19) which reflects their support during the Club’s first year If you are interested in becoming a member either call in to the club during opening hours and/or speak to a member of the management committee or contact the membership secretary Wendy Williams.
CONTACT DETAILS: Club Officers and Management Committee:
- Phil Wells (Chair): 1 Hillside Cottages Hillside. Mobile: 07930 990950.
- Sean Conway (Vice Chair): ‘Oakland House’ Sleaford Road. Mobile: 07938267076
- Iain Hickingbotham(Treasurer): ‘Redvers House’, Chapel Street. Mobile: 07429 381884.
- Wendy Williams (Membership Secretary): 2 The Paddock, Hillside. Mobile: 07719 668354.
- Jane Wells (Secretary): 1 Hillside Cottages, Hillside. Mobile: 0781 3840440.
- Andy Brewer: ‘The Cottage’, Chapel Street. Mobile: 07721975974
- James Finch: ‘Enborne House’, Sleaford Road. Mobile: 07500 047476.
- Ben Scall: ‘Churchview’ Cottage’, Rectory Street.
- Scott Toomer: ‘Hillside Cottage’ Hillside. Mobile 07816775049